Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Birth of Red'sThreads

The birth of Red’sThreads
For quite some time I’ve longed to have a sewing blog just like all of the other home sewers who post entry after entry about their hand-crafted creations. After 2 years of trying to build my confidence to take on such an endeavor I’m finally ready to launch Red’sThreads. My goal is to make weekly posts about my projects and solicit input, i.e. pattern selection, fabric choice, etc. from my readers on upcoming projects. Hopefully, this blog will keep me on track with my sewing projects and motivate me to complete projects in a timely manner. Yes, I am was the UFO Queen and have had a reputation for completing projects long after they were started. Unfinished projects lingered in my sewing room for months (in some cases years) as if they were sent there as some form of cruel and unusual punishment. No project should take years to complete unless it involves heavy construction equipment such as a bulldozer! But, those days are a distant memory, now I’m completing my projects much sooner and loving the results and the compliments as well.
(-_-) 
A tribute to my inspiration
This blog will also serve as a tribute to my grandmother and mother both of whom dabbled in sewing, knitting, and crocheting. Their creative talent served as a source of inspiration for me. During my phone conversations with my grandmother she always asks “what [sewing project] are you working on?” At the ripe young age of 94 she’s still interested in my creative endeavors. Before my mother passed she urged me to create a portfolio to showcase my sewing projects (which I never got around to doing) so in lieu of a portfolio I will showcase my sewing projects here on my sewing blog. 
What’s in a name? 
Me, being the indecisive person that I am, I solicited the help of my family members in choosing a name for my blog. DS suggested something catchy with a sewing theme. DH was so kind as to draft a list of 10 names that he thought would be suitable for a sewing blog. He then asked DS and DD to each choose their 3 favorites from that list. After considering their input I still could not decide on a name, then one day while in the shower the name Red’sThreads popped into my mind. When I shared my name choice with the family DS was super excited however, DH and DD gave a “fair to partly cloudy” response to my name choice. I believe the “fair to partly cloudy” response I received from DH and DD was due in part to my name choice not being on the list that DH so thoughtfully drafted for me. (-_-) Nevertheless, DH and DD thought it was pretty catchy and a reflection of me. To celebrate the birth of Red’sThreads I’m hosting my very first blog giveaway. The first three readers who leave a comment will receive one of the giveaway items below--The Art of Fabric Collage (book), Easy Batik Kit, or Simplicity Embroidery Card. Please provide your email address (either in your comment or send me an email) and any tips or pointers on how to improve and maintain my blog. Thanks a bunch sewing divas!!



4 comments:

  1. Belinda, What a great start for your very first blog. Loved the dress and the color. Will you be at the party on December 3? Hope to see you there!
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new blog

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Belinda,
    Love your blog. Can I add you to the member's section of the Sewing Links page of our ASGnova.org website?

    Sylvia
    webmaster@asgnova.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belinda, my special prize arrived in the mail yesterday, and I can't wait to try it out. Thanks so much, and good luck with your blogging venture. Can't wait to see what you are sewing up for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete