Wednesday, February 13, 2013





Pattern Review~

Butterick 4985/Self-Drafted Skirt
Pattern Description: 
Misses top with sleeve and collar variations . I made view B, with the collar and collar band, and substituted the gathered sleeve with sleeve band for a long sleeve from McCall’s 5522. 
Pattern Sizing:
Sizes 6 to 20. I cut a size 10 with a slight alteration to the shoulder and upper chest area.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  
For the most part it did however, I used the sleeve from McCall’s 5522 (view D) for a long-sleeved version of this blouse.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were very clear.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the shape and style of this blouse and I don’t have any dislikes about this pattern. This is my third version of this blouse.
Fabric Used:
I’m not sure of the fiber content but the fabric has a “crepe-like” feel.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I added 3/8” to the back shoulder seam and 5/8” to the upper chest. Also, I added 1-1/2” to the length of the pattern.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
As much as I like this pattern and would love to sew it again I tossed it after this version. I have way too many blouse/shirt patterns in my stash therefore I will not be making this pattern again but I do highly recommend it to others. It’s OOP so you’ll have to find a copy on Etsy or Ebay.
Conclusion: 
I'm very happy with this top! I love the collar and it fits great.
Self-Drafted Skirt:
After seeing Amanda's version of Simplicity 2512 I knew I had to have one of my own. At the time Simplicity patterns were not on sale and I couldn't wait until the next sale so I drafted my version of this cute and fun skirt. This is a basic skirt pattern with a contoured waistband and front drape so the drafting was fairly easy. I used a synthetic suiting fabric purchased at Hancock's several years ago. This fabric was a dream to cut and sew, no sliding on the cutting table or under the needle while stitching. I added the chain detail at the waist just for a little something extra on this basic black skirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment